My thoughts and prayers are with all Alliance Party representative and their staff at this difficult time following the decision by Belfast City Council to fly the Union Flag on designated days.
Reports are coming in this evening that a constituency office for Stewart Dickson MLA, the Alliance representative for East Antrim has been set on fire. According to the BBC the Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service are at the scene.
As with the protest yesterday that forced Naomi Long MP‘s office to close early, all that these actions will do will be to stop local people from getting the assistance that they so often need with benefit queries, housing, social care needs, passport applications, and other local issues that they so often need help with. The thugs and criminals that have done this must be caught by the Police Service of Northern Ireland and brought to justice.
If any public representative has urged people to come out on to the street and protest, I suggest that he thinks again about the wisdom of this. The matter of the Union Flag has been dealt with by the body responsible in one local government district – Belfast City Council. It is outrageous for so many so-called Loyalists to be protesting in areas of Northern Ireland which are specifically affected by the decision.
I call on anyone with any information to pass it to the PSNI as soon as possible, that the real scum who have done this are brought before the courts.
- Belfast flag threat councillor leaves home (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Belfast union flag row: councillor forced to flee home after threats (guardian.co.uk)
- Eight injured in Belfast trouble (bbc.co.uk)
- Unionists rampage after Union Flag taken off city hall (morningstaronline.co.uk)
- Loyalist protest turns violent as Belfast lowers Union Jack (irishcentral.com)
- Alliance councillor leaves her home after threats… (sluggerotoole.com)
- DUP leaflet accuses Alliance Party of ‘ununionist activities’… (sluggerotoole.com)